ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Overview NDMP Backups?

2010-05-06 12:13:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Overview NDMP Backups?
From: Robert Clark <robert.clark7 AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 09:04:07 -0700
If your intent is to backup all the volumes on the filer, it may be good
to periodically backup the filer without an explicit list, so any new
filesystems are picked up. For example on a Saturday.

Then on Monday query the filesystems on the node and see if any haven't
backed up in the last day. Any that implicitly are picked up, but not on
the explicit list, will show up as having missed a day.

I think we also queried the occupancy, as there would be one object per
file system per completed backup in both the onsite and offsite pools.  So
in our case we'd see 90 objects in the onsite pool, and 89 in the offsite
pool if the copy storage pool job was still running. If one of the
filessytems came back with only 80 objects, the filer admin may have
retired a volume and forgotten to tell us.

[RC]