ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] disk / file pool on SAN without SANergy or GPFS?

2010-05-05 22:17:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] disk / file pool on SAN without SANergy or GPFS?
From: Gary Bowers <gbowers AT ITRUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 21:16:17 -0500
In short no.  Sanergy is what allows you to share the filesystem
amongst multiple servers.  GPFS is a an alternative to SANergy that
also provides the file and block locking necessary to share a physical
device among multiple hosts.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the only two supported LAN free
protocols are GPFS and SANergy.  If TSM supported CIFS or NFS shares
as stgpools it might be able to do something similar with a filer, but
I'm pretty confident that is not supported.  You definitely cannot do
it with iSCSI, because that is a block device, not a file share.

Hope this helps.  I have not done a SANergy install in 4 years, so
things may have changed.

Gary
Itrus Technologies