ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM 6.2 DB restore not working

2010-05-05 13:25:09
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.2 DB restore not working
From: TSM User <user.tsm AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 13:23:50 -0400
I'm trying to restore a database backup to a new server.  It's 6.2 on
Windows 2008 64-bit, with an HP library and LTO3 drives.  I cannot get the
library to see the TSM device driver, and it shows up as Unknown Medium
Changer.  I tried deleting the devices and installing the driver, but it
came back the same way.  Any attempts to install it just return a message
that it's at the most current level.

Thing is, yesterday I was able to work around it.  I was able to change
devconf.out to make the library a manual one, and it would mount tapes.  I
had to do some other stuff that necessitated switching back to the old
server and taking a new database backup, and when we came back up on the new
server, the devconf.out was basically wiped, probably on reboot.  Now, when
I try to make the library a manual one, I'm getting an error message that
the device parameter in the "define path" line is not valid for a 349x
library.  I have no clue why it's trying to make it that kind of library.
I've tried a number of different configs, and I'm beating my head against a
wall at this point.

Original devconf.out (modified for privacy):

/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS LT03 DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60
MOUNTRETENTION=60 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=owner-LT03 WORM=NO
DRIVEENCRYPTION=ALLOW
SET SERVERNAME name_SERVER1
SET SERVERPASSWORD 21461293e7e722dfc44b1113c588ad1240
DEFINE LIBRARY owner-LT03 LIBTYPE=SCSI WWN="xxxxxxxxxxxx4000"
SERIAL="xxxxxx000M" SHARED=NO AUTOLABEL=NO RESETDRIVE=NO
DEFINE DRIVE owner-LT03 TAPE0 ELEMENT=480 ONLINE=Yes WWN="xxxxxxxxxxxx4F22"
SERIAL="xxxxxx74J9"
DEFINE DRIVE owner-LT03 TAPE1 ELEMENT=481 ONLINE=Yes WWN="xxxxxxxxxxxx6812"
SERIAL="xxxxxx74F1"
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY bunch of tapes*/

DEFINE PATH name_SERVER1 owner-LT03 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY
DEVICE=lb0.0.0.2 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE PATH name_SERVER1 TAPE0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE
LIBRARY=owner-LT03 DEVICE=mt0.1.0.2 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE PATH name_SERVER1 TAPE1 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE
LIBRARY=owner-LT03 DEVICE=mt0.2.0.2 ONLINE=YES
SERVERBACKUPNODEID 129

The logical device names did change, and I modified them accordingly in my
new devconf.out, but it didn't help.  I need to get this library visible in
some way so that this database can be restored.  I've been all over the
internet, but my Windows skills are limited, so I might be missing
something.

TIA