ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Linux inotify to identify changed stuff?

2010-04-22 12:49:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Linux inotify to identify changed stuff?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:48:40 -0400
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:18:14 +0200, km <km AT GROGG DOT ORG> said:

> Inotify has been a part of the kernel since 2.6.13 and is supported
> on all RHEL 5 releases and atleast SLES 10+ so this should work on any
> modern Linux.

That's what I'm hoping.

I've gotten several responses off-list; I'll quote but not attribute:
anyone who wants to, perk on up about it.

> did your hear about "Journaled Base Backup" in TSM?  It might be
> your solution.

JBB isn't available on Linux (yet?).  Plus, I'm bitter: JBB crashed my
test installation over, and over, and over, and over.  Hard crash:
system dump. We kept a PMR open for a year, but never found a
resolution.  I closed the PMR because we'd moved from AIX to Linux for
that function, so the point was moot.

I'd want a good long run on a noncritical machine without problems,
before I'd be willing to put JBB on my mail servers.

> I noticed a potential issue that could occur very rarely.  If the
> timing of everything lines up just right (or just wrong, if you
> prefer), your 60-second delay could overwrite the previous output
> file when a leap second is added (a minute with a leap second is 61
> seconds long).

Agreed.  In practice, I expect the delay to be 10-20 minutes, so that
particular issue won't be a problem.

I'll post more about methodologies and such, when I reach a new
plateau.  Currently, during business hours, it's taking me 2 -hours-
just to start up the inotify watcher on one user.  Now, this is not an
average user, it's one of our admins, and he's got a silly amount of
stuff in there.  But it doesn't bode well for the startup time of this
analysis tool.

- Allen S. Rout