ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Import/EXPORT Performance

2010-04-14 18:31:06
Subject: [ADSM-L] Import/EXPORT Performance
From: Steve Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:32:23 -0400
Hi All

I have a need to export 3x2TB databases to tape and import them at a second
site.  This is being done to set up application level replication between
the two sites and so there is a time constraint.

My test export to tape of a full backup of one of these (a single file)
took 18 hours, import from tape took 27 hours.  I can't afford the tape
drives to run more than one of these processes at a time and assuming the
growth is linear I will be unable to meet the time constraint.  The switch
is running optimally, source and destination drives on different adapters,
bottleneck appears to be TSM or Unix. TXNBYTEMAX is optimal according to
the docs.

I have checked quickfacts, TSM performance Guide and online searches of
Solaris docs and have found nothing useful.  Does anyone know of a magic
bullet for tape performance on Solaris, or for TSM imports and export?

Same environment both ends. TSM 5.5.3.0 on Solaris 10. Sun X4540 (AMD x64),
Qlogic 2 port/4Gb HBAs, EMC (Brocade) switch, HP LTO3 drives in a Sun L700
Library.

Thanks for listening

Steve.

Steven Harris