ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] IBM 3584 preventive maintenance schedule

2010-04-08 13:13:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] IBM 3584 preventive maintenance schedule
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 13:11:24 -0400
We have not normally performed any "preventive" maintenance - only
addressed issues as they came up.

The most common "maintenance" we have performed is the blue track/frame
alignment.  Once the robot starts making too many/loud clickety-clack
noises (louder than usually) or shows slow-downs, especially going
inter-frame, that is recommended.

Another factor is your tape count growth.  When we first started using our
12-frame library, we didn't have many tapes (>4000 capacity).  Our primary
tapes were 3490 and 3590 so the capacity wasn't that great.  As we kept
adding tapes and filling up the library, we started having issues with the
robot reading slots due to the door racks/cells sagging.  So, IBM
realigned the slot frames on each door.

If you have one of the really old libraries or it hasn't been upgraded,
the robot worm-gear used to need lubrication.  IBM got smart and replaced
it with a teflon coated gear which never needs lubrication.

Another procedure that IBM once used when trying to figure out a difficult
problem was aligning all frames using a plumb and laser-level to make sure
all frames are at the same level as well as tracking the robot travel from
one end to the other.

HTH