ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Celerra NDMP Sanity Check

2010-03-19 17:56:49
Subject: [ADSM-L] Celerra NDMP Sanity Check
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:55:59 -0500
I need a sanity check. We're trying to implement new virtual tape devices on
new devices with our existing set-up, including some storage agents and a
handful of NDMP clients. The storage agents, no problem. We know how to do
storage agents. The NetApp filers? No problem; they're just like storage
agents, except for the whole "dedicated device class" thing, but at least we
can get tape drive serial numbers from our NetApp administrators so we can map
out the paths like we would for a storage agent or another TSM server sharing a
library on a SAN.

We've got two Celerra clients that are testing me. Their administrators swear
up and down that all they can find -- and all we need -- are the device names,
that there's no need for device serial numbers.

The instructions from EMC also include steps to define a path from the Celerra
to the library changer, not just to the drives. That makes me think EMC expects
us to dedicate drives and a library (partition) to each Celerra. I can't find
any TSM documentation or Redpieces that are specific to Celerra, so I turn to
the list:

Do other EMC Celerra sites using TSM dedicate tape libraries to their Celerras
for NDMP, or is there a way to make the Celerra play well with other LAN-free
clients?

TSM 5.5.3, AIX 5.3, if it matters. Not sure about Celerra code levels.

Thanks,
Nick