ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] VCB backup performance

2010-03-17 18:19:19
Subject: [ADSM-L] VCB backup performance
From: Steve Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:17:31 -0400
Hi All

Thanks to all those that responded to my "time travel" query, testing is in
progress on that one.

One of my customers has an issue with a burgeoning VCB infrastructure.

There are two VCB proxies and a lot of VMs being backed up, TSM Server
5.5.3 and client 6.1.2.  Most of this is a daily incremental and a monthly
full, but there are a couple of big file-servers with lots of small files
that get a daily full.

VCB backups are single threaded, and we are having trouble getting through
them all within the window.  TSM doesn't seem to be the problem, we have
increased resourceutilization on the proxy  without much effect.  The
bottleneck seems to be the VMWare snapshot/mount/dismount parts of the
process, and there is not a lot of visibility of those.

1. Is there any good doc on this process and how to improve its
performance?
2. Can the proxy side be effectively parallelized, and if so how?

Thanks

Steve

TSM Admin,
Paraparaumu, New Zealand