ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM V6.1.3.1 and memory requirements on series

2010-02-27 02:28:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM V6.1.3.1 and memory requirements on series
From: Grigori Solonovitch <G.Solonovitch AT BKME DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:52:47 +0300
Hello Nancy,

I am running TSM Server 6.1.3.1 on a logical partition of Power5 570. This is
my current configuration:

XXXX][/]>lparstat -i
Node Name                                  : XXXX
Partition Name                             : XXXX
Partition Number                           : 3
Type                                            : Dedicated-SMT
Mode                                       : Capped
Entitled Capacity                          : 2.00
Partition Group-ID                         : 32771
Shared Pool ID                             : -
Online Virtual CPUs                        : 2
Maximum Virtual CPUs                       : 3
Minimum Virtual CPUs                       : 1
Online Memory                              : 8128 MB
Maximum Memory                             : 15360 MB
Minimum Memory                             : 1024 MB
Variable Capacity Weight                   : -
Minimum Capacity                           : 1.00
Maximum Capacity                           : 3.00
Capacity Increment                         : 1.00
Maximum Physical CPUs in system            : 4
Active Physical CPUs in system             : 4
Active CPUs in Pool                        : -
Shared Physical CPUs in system             : -
Maximum Capacity of Pool                   : -
Entitled Capacity of Pool                  : -
Unallocated Capacity                       : -
Physical CPU Percentage                    : 100.00%
Unallocated Weight                         : -

[XXXX][/]>lsconf|pg
System Model: IBM,9117-570
Machine Serial Number: 6528BEE
Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER5
Processor Implementation Mode: POWER 5
Processor Version: PV_5
Number Of Processors: 2
Processor Clock Speed: 1654 MHz
CPU Type: 64-bit
Kernel Type: 64-bit
LPAR Info: 3 drsrv4
Memory Size: 8128 MB
Good Memory Size: 8128 MB
Platform Firmware level: SF240_358
Firmware Version: IBM,SF240_358
Console Login: enable
Auto Restart: true
Full Core: false

Unfortunately, TSM Server is stiil running in test mode (I have started from
6.1.0 and reached 6.1.3.1). I am going to use de-duplication on TSM server and
was testing it in this mode.
We have pospounded TSM 6.1 implementation because, in my opinion, it is still
not stable enough for production environmrent. It is just a fact - IBM has
removed version 6.1.3.0 from market and approximately for one week 6.1.3.1 was
not available at all (no official version except bad 6.1.2.1!!!). I am waiting
for new version 6.2.0, which will be available soon, and I hope it will be
better than 6.1. By the way, IBM is going to use DB2 9.7 instead of older 9.5
in 6.1. Unfortuately it can mean anything from fixing all problems of 6.1 to
having additional problems in 6.2.

Now about CPUs and memory size. All previous versions of TSM Server up to 5.5.4
were not using a lot of CPU and memory resources. After implementing DB2
picture has been changed a lot. Processes like db2sync are consuming a lot of
CPU resources in addition to dsmserv and you need much more space for databse,
logs and archives. Unfortunately, TSM documentation does not give real
requirements for system resourses. My suggestions are:
1) you definately do not need to increase memory to 32-40 GB. I think 12GB,
recommended by IBM, is enough;
2) four Power5 570 1.9GHz cores will be ebough as well.
Take them as they are, because I have only information from our test
environment.
If you are planning to implement TSM 6.1.3.1 (not implemented yet), wait for
TSM 6.2 and good luck.
Regards,
Grigori