ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question on Expiration

2010-02-26 15:00:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question on Expiration
From: "Huebschman, George J." <GJHuebschman AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:00:17 -0500
 Eric,
        I have a couple of options for you.  I am not sure of your
background, mine is non-technical, so if any of this sounds foolishly
obvious, I apologize.

        First, TSM is not natively SQL.  The SQL tables that these
queries run on are created from the underlying B Tree db (pre 6.*).
Don't run heavy selects during busy periods, like during Expiration.  If
you don't have a comfortable buffer of recovery log and db space, be
very wary of the following message:
"ANR2963W This SQL query may produce a very large result table, or may
require a significant amount of time to
compute."
Sometimes it is something you reply to and forget, but it can be the
last thing you see on the TSM server before your phone rings....

*************
This one queries the actlog and runs slowly:
select nodename, substr (message, 1,9) as MESSAGE, cast(substr (message,
44,10)as varchar(20)) as ObjBacked from actlog where msgno=4954 and
date(date_time)>date(current_timestamp)-1 day
*************

*************This queries the summary table and runs much more quickly:
select cast(sum(cast(1.0* bytes/1048576 as decimal(13,2))) as char
(13))as MB, entity as "CLIENT",  activity, affected as OBJECTS from
summary where activity='BACKUP' and
date(end_time)>date(current_timestamp)-5 days group by entity, activity,
schedule_name, affected

"ENTITY" is the client node_name.  After the "where" You could add  "
and entity='YOUR_CLIENT_NAME' " if you want to look at just one client.

You can also pipe it out to a text or .cvs file and put it into a
spreadsheet application.

If anyone else cares to check, I was aiming at getting the clients to
roll into one line each, but I have gotten as far as I can with it.

"Simpler is usually better." - Neil Strand

George Huebschman