ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1.3.1 on Windows?

2010-02-06 06:10:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1.3.1 on Windows?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 12:09:16 +0100
On 6 feb 2010, at 10:36, Christian Svensson wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone using TSM 6.1.3.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2?
> I have a open support ticket where "Query SAN" showing the wrong information
> and somehow does TSM Server try to take the wrong LTO Media to each Device
> Classes.
> After 24 hours are all my Scratch tapes in Private Mode?
>
> What's happening is that I have a mix media in my Library with LTO-3 and
> LTO-4 tapes. But I only want to use LTO-4 to my primary tapepool and LTO-3 to
> my Copypool.
> I have create a BCKCLASS and COPYCLASS where BCKCLASS points to ULTRIUM4C and
> COPYCLASS ULTRIUM3C

I guess you mean that you have set the format of the device class as such?

> All LTO-3 Media starts with 0 and end with L3 and LTO-4 starts with A and
> ends with L4.
> When I run q libvol so will LTO-3 media be in the top and L4 media in the
> bottom.
>
> If I start a BACKUP STGPOOL to my Copypool does everything works fine in the
> beginning. But when I start migration from DISKPOOL to TAPEPOOL then does TSM
> try to mount a LTO-3 tape and failing and switch that media to Private, then
> it continue with that until it gets to LTO-4 tapes and start migrate the data.
> When I start the BACKUP STGPOOL again it does try to backup to a LTO-3 tape
> and I get the same issue now with LTO-4 media that it put them in Private
> Mode.
>
> Any guess why this is happening?

TSM, unfortunately for you, knows about LTO media compatibility, os it knows it
can write an ultrium3 cart in an LTO4 drive. It (apparently) doesn't know that
it can't write an u3 cart in ULTRIUM4C format, so when it actually starts
writing data it fails.

What you could do, is define two libraries in TSM, (possibly define an LTO4
drive as control path for the LTO4 part and an LTO3 drive for the LTO3 part,
but I don't think that's really needed), and point your device classes to
logically separate libs. Check you media in to the right logical lib and your
set to go.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post