ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Am I Shoe Shining My LTO4's?

2010-01-29 00:52:24
Subject: [ADSM-L] Am I Shoe Shining My LTO4's?
From: "Hart, Charles A" <charles_hart AT UHC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:44:35 -0600
We push our 2nd copy over individual FCIP links with write acceleration
enabled, we use to trunk 6gige links together but ran in to latency
issues without write acceleration enabled and the technology did not
allow for write acceleration and trunking so we end up with 3-4 LTO4
drives down 1gige link with write acceleration.

That said when I run select against the summary table to get timings on
Backup stgpools the more the more processes we kick off at one the
slower the speed (makes sense only so much per gige).  (TSM Env AIX p550
/ IBM LTO4)

LTO4's minimum matching drive speed is 30MBS, so once we push 4
processes down one link we are pushing less than 30MBS, thereby in
theory running below the minimum rated drive speed we should be shining
the drives pretty good.  Does anyone know of a way to validate that
indeed were shining?

Regards,

Charles