ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ?anyone using TSM to backup Panasus PanFS?

2010-01-26 18:54:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ?anyone using TSM to backup Panasus PanFS?
From: Harry Redl <harry_redl AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:53:19 -0800
Hi,

I do not think this is task for any "normal" backup solution (not to mention
PanFS is possibly not supported by any). With these specification you may
easily exceed any limit of filename/path length backup software has. Scanning
the filesystem can take hours (if only!) even before single byte is transferred
- huge number of files is a killer for any backup solution. What is your RPO
and RTO? What is the purpose of the backup and granularity required?
Without knowing anything more about your environment it seems to me that
replication (possibly synchronous) between two sites and volume block level
backup (what VERY LARGE means?) is what you end with .... crystal balls are
scarce these days :)

Harry