ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1.3 Install

2010-01-14 11:12:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1.3 Install
From: Nicholas Rodolfich <NRodolfich AT CMAONTHEWEB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:12:01 -0600
Hello ALL, Thanks for your help!

I am about to upgrade a client from 5.5.2 to 6.1.x. The client just got an
nSeries and they want to implement NDMP.  Two questions arise form this
thread.

1. Which 6.1.x version should I upgrade to?
2. What is the nature of the NDMP/TOC performance problems in 6.1.x?

Thanks Again!

Regards,

Nicholas

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/13/2010
03:54:54 PM:

> [image removed]
>
> [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1.3 Install
>
> Sam Sheppard
>
> to:
>
> ADSM-L
>
> 01/13/2010 09:12 PM
>
> Sent by:
>
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>
> We have been running TSM server 6.1.2.1 on AIX 6.1 for a couple of
> months and needed to upgrade to 6.1.3 for the fix for a severe NDMP/TOC
> performance problem.
>
> Downloaded the 6.1.3 package, ran the upgrade procedure and lo and
> behold, the performance problem was no better. At that time, I also
> discovered that we were still running version 6.1.2.1 as shown by both
> logging in with DSMADMC and the output of the Q STATUS command.
>
> At this point, I opened a problem with Tivoli support. They requested I
> rerun the upgrade and send them screen shots and logs of the process as
> well as a checksum output of the downloaded package. Again, all looked
> normal except that this time it ran much quicker and I received a
> message indicating DB2 9.5 had already been installed and would not be
> re-installed. And, again, the version ended up being 6.1.2.1.
>
> Two weeks ago, the problem was forwarded to a different support group
> who looked at it until Monday when I received a message saying they had
> decided the best way to get 6.1.3 installed at this point was to run the
> ./Uninstall_Tivoli_Storage_Manager program from the
/opt/tivoli/tsm/_uninst