ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Disparate Client Options

2010-01-05 21:38:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Disparate Client Options
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:36:37 -0500
> I could quibble - they have to do all that anyway, right, across the
> various
> clients?
>
> I don't think so. Consider, how would you map an ACL for a UNIX file in
say, an AIX DFS filesystem, to an ACL for a Windows file system?  The client
is supposed to honor those ACL's, and restore them along with the data.  I
don't see how that would work.

And you can have things in non-text files that simply don't compute when
moved from UNIX to Windows and vice-versa.  Moving a binary from UNIX to
Windows won't make it executeable.  And there are file formats that have
big-endian vs. little-endian issues  (for example, output from Fortran, for
which there were UNIX compilers at one time, although I realize there are
fewer and fewer such cases these days.).

And Richard is correct, when restoring to Windows, TSM doesn't write the
files; it calls NTFS to write the files.  I don't know that all the
filesystem calls translate.  For instance, you can create an empty 2GB file
in an NTFS filesystem; there is no such thing in a JFS.

And there are at least 5 different filesystem types for AIX, at least 4 that
I know of for Red Hat, et cetera, et cetera.... many, many permutations.

SO if you say well those aren't the files I'm interested in, I just want
flat files...then I think what you are looking for is a different protocol
altogether - maybe ask for a "bit stream restore", where TSM will restore
the bits into a flat file across operating systems, ignoring all the
conversion issues, and make you responsible for decoding the result.

But I'm still not sure that's desirable from a security point of view, and
most people will find it less work to restore the file back to its original
O/S and FTP it, thereby taking the responsibility of stripping out the ACL's
themselves...