ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Disparate Client Options

2010-01-05 15:34:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Disparate Client Options
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 15:32:23 -0500
On Jan 5, 2010, at 2:45 PM, Lindsay Morris wrote:

> I could quibble - they have to do all that anyway, right, across the various
> clients?

Speaking as someone who's had to write emulation and other software for foreign
platforms, there's a lot more to it than may initially be apparent.  For the
software to basically function properly, it needs to be compiled on the target
platform along with its code base - where the needed header files defining file
system elements don't exist, necessitating a lot of intricate porting, conflict
resolution, and dependency chasing.  Then in emulation you have to supply the
functionality which the foreign OS supplies - which is typically in its kernel,
which quickly gets complex, where you're basically reinventing portions of that
operating system.  If you manage to get through all that, then over time you
have to keep the whole up to currency with changes made to the real platform by
its vendor.  And imagine doing a lot of work to conform to a platform which
then is soon banished to history (e.g., Vista).  Ugh.  I would not wish this on
anyone.

   Richard Sims