ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] alternatives to TSM due to license costs

2009-12-31 14:22:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] alternatives to TSM due to license costs
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:21:09 -0600
+1 on the challenge!!  We were audited, and what a nightmare at first.
They tried to charge us for boxes that had been retired, but were
unlocked for legal restore reasons, they also tried to inflate the cost
of clustered boxes and TDP setups.  You only have to pay for cores on
the ACTIVE nodes of a cluster.  Now if both are active then you pay for
both, but if you run, as we do, active/passive clusters you only pay for
the node with the higher number of cpu/cores.  At times our passive node
will not have the resources assigned to it the primary node has.

I kept challenging and pushing back on them, and they finally sent me to
another crew that had more sense.  Once we agreed that IBM's licensing
statements were valid because that's what we used to purchase, things
were good.  We even had a few extra.  Not only that, but despite their
assertions you DO NOT have to buy your licenses from them, you can get a
quote and buy from your normal reseller so your normal discounts apply.

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!