ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Another EXPORT question

2009-12-23 08:40:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Another EXPORT question
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:37:35 +1100
Hi Richard

Some TDPs use archives as their underlying storage mechanism.  Most
modern ones use backups.  q occ can be used against the node to see
which is in use.  Be careful with FILEDATA=BACKUPACTIVE, some TDPs work
by maintaining a unique machine-generated name for each bit of the
backup, and then mark it inactive when the product wants to forget about
it - TDP for Oracle works this way.  Others use the same name over and
over, and so the standard TSM aging mechanisms work as usual. TDP for
Domino is like this.

So if you use filedata=backupactive against TDP for Oracle you will get
a lot more data than you would normally expect - every backup that RMAN
is still tracking, whereas the same command against TDP for Domino will
give you just the last backup (plus all the transaction logs)

Regards

Steve
Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Sydney Australia
Io Saturnalia!

Richard van Denzel wrote:
Hi All,

I was just wondering, if I do an EXPORT NODE with FILEDATA=BACKUPActive,
will TDP data for this node be exported as well? Can someone shed some
light on this?

It appears when I import this node, only the Storage Group (TDP for
Exchange) gets created (139 bytes are imported), I use FILEDATA=ALL when
importing. I've been searching on this subject, but I cannot find a good
answer.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Richard van Denzel