ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Restoring LARGE server

2009-12-10 14:10:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Restoring LARGE server
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:09:49 -0500
AFAIK, NQR isn't something you can "pick and choose" - if it was, I would.

>From the book:

When you enter an unrestricted wildcard source file specification on the
restore command and do not specify any of the options: inactive, latest,
pick, fromdate, todate, or |volinformation, the client uses a no query
restore method for restoring files and directories from the server. This
method is called no query restore because instead of querying the server
for each object to be restored, a single restore request is sent to the
server. In this case, the server returns the files and directories to the
client without further action by the client. The client merely accepts the
data coming from the server and restores it to the destination named on
the restore command.

What is killing me is having to restore inactive file (the server
corruption completely killed a big directory that the OS says is now
"empty" so the TSM backup marked everything "inactive").

In my opinion, these restrictions for NQR plus the issue of not having an
equivalent of MEMORYEFFICIENT for restores, is a major problem/weakness in
TSM.

I have spent the past 3+ days (and will be working throughout the weekend)
to restore these files.  I keep having to drill further and further into
each directory structure to guess which directory I can attempt to
restore.  Every time I click on a directory and attempt a restore, the
process runs for 30-minutes transferring 2G or more of meta-data before it
eventually fails on "insufficient memory" or I am lucky enough to pick one
that restores.  Then I have to start all over again, keep track of where I
am and what I was able to restore, drill further down,
rinse-lather-repeat!  Besides the 22M objects, there is 700GB of data to
process/wander through.

What good is having 50M objects of backups if I can't restore them in a
reasonable fashion?