ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] I/O thruput

2009-12-10 00:56:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] I/O thruput
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:54:48 +1300
----- "Fred Johanson" <Fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU> wrote:

> Del and/or Andy can probably answer this, hopefully in a way that a
> non-hardware/OS person, like me, can understand.
>
> Our hardware guy upgraded a driver on my 6 AIX boxen.  As a result, my
> thruput went to hell, with backups running, not at Kb/s, but bits/s.
> But not on clients with the MSSQL or ORACLE TDP, or SQL-Backtrack.
> Those clients went thru at the expected rate.  My supposition is that
> clients using the API use a different I/O path than regular clients.
>
> Enquiring minds want to know.

this enquiring mind would like to know a bit more info:
- what was updated and where - surely there's some details in the change
request?
- what is the TSM server, version, OS, hardware, etc?  Is that where the update
went?
- what/where is the client?
- I gather it's file backups from the AIX boxes that's slow?  But the Windows
ones are OK?  What's the difference other than platform - do they go to
different storage pools?