ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 De-dupe + NDMP

2009-12-03 15:51:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 De-dupe + NDMP
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:49:56 -0500
I am not sure how tsm does it. But if one is using another backup product to do
the NDMP backups on a netapp filer, you have to reference a snapshot that
already exists (ex hourly.0) or the backup product and ask for a snapshot to be
created for the backup. We started using this other product long before the tsm
folks started to support ndmp.

But a snapshot should not stop a dedupe as the dedupe depending on design
should be working at the block or segment level.

If the data is encrypted that would hurt a dedupe.

Of course you might not find much dedupe with the incremental backups are they
are only the changes.
Depending on the data, I would suspect that you would not get much dedupe
unless you are storing multiple full backups on the dedupe device. Unless you
have duplicated data located across the backed up filesystems/directories.