ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DROBOPRO Storage Device

2009-11-04 14:10:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DROBOPRO Storage Device
From: Ben Bullock <BBullock AT BCIDAHO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:08:38 -0700
        I have a little exposure in that one of the managers bought one because
it was cheap and his friend told him it was great. He told us to put it into
the enterprise. We played with it for a couple weeks and then sent it back.

        This may not be the gospel truth, but after multiple calls to support,
this is what we came up with:

        It is not really a NAS device. The DroboPro can only be attached to one
host at a time, even through the Ethernet. There is a NAS attachment that you
can buy to make a Drobo into NAS, but that product is NOT compatible with the
DroboPro, only the non-pro version.

                After multiple support calls, we determined that it is really
just locally attached storage (Firewire, USB, Ethernet) that has some very cool
functionality in the way that it does Raid and lets you mix and match drive
types and sizes.

        I really want one at home, and a small business might be OK, but in my
opinion it is not for medium to large businesses.

YMMV,
Ben