ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Win2008 System State

2009-10-28 17:39:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Win2008 System State
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:37:51 -0400
I am not aware of any links off-hand to any official Microsoft statements.
Why would your customer doubt this? Alternatives that come to mind:

- Take a look at the install footprint of a base Windows 2003 vs. Windows
2008:
   Windows 2003: C:\Windows has 16,000 files/3 GB
   Windows 2008: C:\Windows has 71,000 files/15 GB

There are, of course, other files, but the size of C:\Windows alone is very
telling.

- If you do a google search on "windows 2008 system state size", you'll
probably find some credible, albeit anecdotal evidence of the size.

- If you run a TSM backup-archive client "backup systemstate" command,
you'll see the size.

- If you get the VSS SDK, it comes with the vshadow.exe tool that you can
use to get a sense of the size:

   vshadow -p -wm2 > youroutputfile

Then review the output. Run the same command on Windows 2003 and compare
the sizes. There is clearly a lot more in the 2008 version.

- If your customer needs to hear it from Microsoft, then perhaps this is a
question to ask directly of Microsoft.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 10/28/2009
10:46:19 AM: