ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Performance and migration: AIX vs Linux

2009-10-26 20:09:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Performance and migration: AIX vs Linux
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:09:05 +1100
Allen,

I see your point on the hardware side, but what about all the various
flaky driver issues with Linux.  Would it be reasonable to consider
Intel/Solaris to get an industrial strength OS on commodity hardware?
Where's AIX for Intel when you need it!

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
AIX and TSM Admin.
STILL! Looking for work, Sydney Australia

Allen S. Rout wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:57:20 +0330, Mehdi Salehi <iranian.aix.support AT GMAIL DOT
COM> said:

According to IBM, AIX outperforms Linux on the same box between 5%
to 10%.  Maturity, flexibility and reliability of AIX and POWER
architecture in my opinion make it a far better choice for such a
critical service. (I am not against Intel)

I've been a big-time AIX booster for years, for just this reason.  But
I've got to say, next generation I'm testing Intel/linux.

The reason:

2x 4-core 3Ghz cpus,
72G of core
2x10G ethernet
2x4G FC

for 7K plus a 1/16 share of a 50K chassis.  Call it 10K.

It makes me sigh; I really like and trust AIX and p-series hardware.

- Allen S. Rout