ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Does TSM support 3-way NDMP backups?

2009-10-22 15:41:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Does TSM support 3-way NDMP backups?
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:40:51 -0400
I think there may be a lack of clarity with the reference to the link
that Tribe provided.

> Does TSM support 3-way NDMP backups as described here?
> http://www.ndmp.org/info/faq.shtml#9

 As I understand it, the TSM server is the NDMP client, the filer is the
NDMP DATA server which then directs it's data stream to the NDMP TAPE
server (not a NAS device)  The NDMP TAPE server can be a process
internal to the filer (to local tape) or the the TSM server (acting as a
NDMP tape server).
I may have the client, data and tape server components mixed up but this
is the general idea that seems to work for me when opening ports through
firewalls to make a NDMP backup of a filer.
   This is also why I like using the windows proxy with the "dsmc ....
-snapdiff" option for backing up CIFS shares.  It is a lot less
confusing for my two brain cells to deal with.

Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.