ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Querying status of a finished process

2009-10-15 08:44:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Querying status of a finished process
From: Lindsay Morris <lindsay AT TSMWORKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 08:08:40 -0400
TSM's "query events" will report success even though the backup may have
skipped some files that were locked or open.  I think many people ignore
skipped files.  But when building Servergraph, we added thorough
skipped-file analysis, and were surprised at what our customers found.
It turns out that the skipped files alert you to databases that are active
during backup (thus can't be backed up consistently).  This seems to be a
common problem.  Your user community doesn't know that databases need
special treatment;  you DO know that, but you don't know when someone
installs a new application and its database.  It's (my second-favorite
phrase) "a built-in organizational disconnect".

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Tribe <tsm-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a beginner with TSM and this question might be very basic. However, I
> wasn't able to find the answer in the documentation, so here's my question:
>
> I'm using TSM 5.5 and want to run all commands through the dsmadmc command
> line. I'm backing up and restoring NAS nodes.
>
> I found ways to start backups and query running processes (query process
> <ID>), but I don't know how to query the status of finished processes. I
> just want a simple way to figure out if a backup / restore was successful.
> If I use the "query process <ID>" after the job finished, it just tells me
> "Process cannot be found".
>
> There must be a simple way to do that, right? I know that I can query the
> actlog, but is there a better / easier way to do this, given a process id?
>
> Thanks,
> Jan

> |This was sent by mail AT janseidel DOT net via Backup Central.

Lindsay Morris
Principal
TSMworks
Tel. 1-859-539-9900