ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] MPIO for tape libraries

2009-10-12 03:42:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] MPIO for tape libraries
From: David McClelland <tsm AT NETWORKC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:41:45 +0100
Mehdi,

>>> Does defining logical tape drives helps eliminating this single point of
failure such that if during client backup the fiber connection of drive
fails, another tape drive in the library takes over the operation?

Okay, the quote from the Redbook below may have misled you in this case: a
'logical tape library' as you describe below is quite different to the
concept you describe as a logical tape drive, it is how IBM describe their
library partitioning. Here, creating 'logical libraries' (i.e. a library
partition) will allow you to share a single physical library amongst, for
example, Netbackup, Mainframe and TSM applications and the partitioning is
managed by the library itself (e.g. with ALMS in a TS3500/3584) and has
nothing to do with any virtualisation/logical definitions within TSM or the
OS. The tape drives themselves here are not virtualised: you're still
accessing a *physical* tape drive device, and a failure of a physical LTO
drive, or the path to it, will still result in that path/drive going offline
- potentially interrupting a data movement operation, although as Steven has
also pointed out, TSM's normally pretty hot on these and may retry the
operation on a different drive.

Hope that helps,

/DMc
London, UK