ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Expiration of Exchange

2009-10-07 21:33:50
Subject: [ADSM-L] Expiration of Exchange
From: Fred Johanson <Fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 20:33:19 -0500
We use Copy Services instead of the TDP for EXCHANGE.  We want to keep backups
for 30 days, which does work.  The .edb files are daily marked as inactive and
roll off as expected.  But an examination by Mr. Exchange shows that there are
.log files which are never marked as inactive, and, thus, are immortal, so far
to the sum of 50 Tb on site (and the same offsite).  We obviously missed
something in configuration, but what?

To complicate matters, we tried to modify the client to allow deletion of
backups (Mr. Exchange discovered on his own that "del ba *log
todate=current_date-30" will get rid of the unwanted) but keep getting the
client is accessing the server message, on an empty machine.  While waiting to
figure this out, we could do "del vol xxx discarddat=y" on all those volumes
more than 5 weeks old, but there must be some way to prevent this in the future.