ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 and the ever expanding DB

2009-10-05 11:49:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 and the ever expanding DB
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:48:29 -0400
>> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:14:38 -0400, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT
>> EDU> said:

> Join the club.  I am beginning to wonder if anyone is successfully
> using V6.1, trouble-free.

I suspect that there are small installations running without much
difficulty.

> The diagnostic information for DB/log errors is fairly useless.  The
> book says to go to DB2 to get it to explain the SQL????? errors,
> eventhough in other places the book says to not mess with DB2

IMO, that's a silly goal for them to have shot for.  The point of
putting DB2 under the covers is to give us access to the strengths of
DB2.

If someone suggested they wanted to use TSM to do their backups, and
they wanted to see all the advantages, but, y'know, they didn't want
to understand it or anything...

We'd probably smile politely at best.  Or chew them out.

> Just got my 5th SQL error this week ("10/2/2009 8:49:46 AM ANR0162W
> Supplemental database diagnostic information: -1:22003:-413
> ([IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/LINUXX8664] SQL0413N Overflow occurred during
> numeric data type conversion.  SQLSTATE=22003")

I got several of those in beta-land, and they got fixed.  Drop them a
ticket.  (I'm betting you already did)

> I have to run 3-full DB backups every day (along with the now added
> 3-BACKUP VOLHIST) just to try to keep ahead of what I consider
> normal, daily activity (never had to do this on V5.x - daily DB
> incrementals use to be more than enough - heaven help me if I get
> this server up to the size of my biggest V5 server which has a 150GB
> DB - I could never backup the DB fast enough to keep it from
> crashing).

I think the operational considerations for this DB didn't get enough
attention.  On the one hand, we couldn't really turn anything loose on
them: we promised in the beta not to put anything real on the servers.

On the other hand, in glorious 20/20 hindsight, maybe the beta needed
a whole separate phase.

- Allen S. Rout