ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Limiting number of drives used

2009-09-22 14:41:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Limiting number of drives used
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:39:35 -0400
Hehe, just as a thought experiment...

Presuming our instances are of equal size, they would be equally running
jobs at the same times.  So they would all equally have a couple drives
available to be pre-empted.

In reality, our instances are not equal in size and it is the large ones
that would tend to have jobs running during the day.  (Smaller instances
finish by 7am)
But also, since they are large, they are also more likely have the data
someone would want restored.  Which means they would also have drives
available to be pre-empted.

I supposed I'm a TSM geek since I think this is fun!

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
r.post AT PLCS DOT NL

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
09/22/2009 02:17 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Limiting number of drives used

I _Almost_ agree with Kelly. A restore will preempt any process
running on the same server, but with 6 TSM instances, chances are that
your restore is running on a TSM instance that has nothing to preempt,
while other instances are busy with eg. reclamation or other less
essential tasks.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl
+31 6 248 21 622

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.