ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] DR recovery between server-server communication

2009-09-22 13:38:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] DR recovery between server-server communication
From: Eric Vaughn <evaughn AT STEVENSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:35:56 -0400
Anyone with some input would be greatly appreciated. Here is my set up and my
issue at hand. Currently we are using server-server communication with
vaulting. Main location is a blade hs21 with fiber attached SAN storage running
win server 2003 r2 with TSM extended edition 5.5.3. Second location which also
runs the same set is appx 5 miles away.  I use vaulting to house a copy or what
i call archive pool at my second location by running the command backup stgpool
secondarypool archivepool. This backs up my primary or active pool to my
archive pool for dr recovery. Here is my issue. I am in the process of a dr
restore of my main server at my primary location and I am stuck on restoring
the database. From source to target i have replicated my dsmserv.opt, volhist,
devconfig, .dsk and dr plan as well as dbsnapshot and incrementals of my db.
They are robocopied over for dr purposes every day.  Here is what I have done
so far with a bare metal restore of my original server. I have installed and
restored win 2003 r2 with all updates. Installed tsm management console, tsm,
licenses, device drivers, baclient and isc/admin console.  Please correct me if
i am wrong since I am no tsm expert.  I have moved over all necessary files
dsmserv.opt, volhist, devconfig, .dsk and dr plan to the new DR server.  My
question is where do i go from here to test a db restore. Do i have to set up
server -server communication between each server?  I believe on the new dr
server you would define the target with define server servername pass=admin
hla=ip nodename?
Than you would do this on the target server as well?  If that is the case here
is my problem. After defining the target on the new dr test server I can not
define the dr test server on the target server. When i open up the dsmadmc on
the target it will not let me login. It prompts me to enter the id which i
enter admin and than i get a session rejected tcp/ip. Is this due to the target
still pointing to the old ip address of the original source server? I open up
the devcnfg on the target and it points to the originals source servers
address. Would i just change this to the new address of the dr test server?
What am I doing wrong? Any help would be great. I tested changing the target to
point to the new dr server by address and name but was a no go.
thanks,

Eric Vaughn
Technical Administrator
Stevenson University