ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] the purpose of "file" device class

2009-09-21 12:02:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] the purpose of "file" device class
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:00:58 -0600
During Oxford 2005, IBM stated that the File Device Class is the strategic data
structure.  One can see this in action with the dedup functionality in V6.

Our products use DISK for cachepool usually deployed on JBOD arranged FAST disk
(SAS or FC at 15K) as the initial target for client backups, particularly for
large numbers of clients with small data movement.

File Device class is used for large amounts of storage (since we can have
reclamation there).  Our pools are targeted by clients moving a lot of data
daily, or are the target of migration from the cachepool.

I think both are still valid for the reasons already described but in the long
run DISK may go the way of the dinosaur.

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive