ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] RHEL5-2.6.18.96 - Lin_tape 1.24-Sandiscovery wont work

2009-09-17 15:58:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] RHEL5-2.6.18.96 - Lin_tape 1.24-Sandiscovery wont work
From: janecb01 <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:42:41 -0400
Hi,

I have compiled the latest Lin_tape and installed lin_taped on my Linux RHEL5
server.. I am using a Netapp Nearstor VTL emulating IBM LTO4 drives.
Sandiscovery will not work, and at best will crash the system every few hours
or so unless it is turned off - / or set to PASSIVE. When I scan the system,
the drives are dicovered and connected to the lin_tape driver:
lin_tape: detected device at host 1, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 022C
lin_tape: successfully attached IBMtape0
lin_tape: detected device at host 1, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 022C
lin_tape: successfully attached IBMtape1
lin_tape: detected device at host 1, channel 0, id 0, lun 3

but as soon as tapes start loading we get various errors:
lin_tape: IBMtape20----51868 tape_logsense_page() unable to do log sense
lin_tape: IBMtape20----51868 tape_logsense_page() unable to do log sense
lin_tape: IBMChgr1-----80401 changer_check_result() sensekey: 6 asc: 28 ascq: 0
lin_tape: IBMtape19----b4fb0 tape_set_all_parms() unable to change recovery
timeouts

The crashing has become very annoying - IBM recommends a QLogic hba driver that
is not supported by QLogic or RHEL5 (8.01.06) We have 8.02.23 - but that might
not be related.

IBM has been studying the information for a while now.. but this is getting
very frustrated. The lin_tape compiled without error for my kernel.

Sandiscovery will not adjust the devices as it does on AIX perfectly..

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Jane