ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Anyone using ZFS and TSM Server on Solaris?

2009-09-17 07:54:16
Subject: [ADSM-L] Anyone using ZFS and TSM Server on Solaris?
From: David McClelland <tsm AT NETWORKC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:53:08 +0100
Hi Team,

A kind-of follow up to my post from earlier this week
(http://adsm.org/lists/html/ADSM-L/2009-09/msg00115.html) around the use of
TSM Server with ZFS volumes on Solaris 10.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else out there is using ZFS for DB, log or
stgpool volumes (either raw or volumes in the fs) and in particular how
performant, or otherwise, the perception of it is and whether any particular
tuning parameters with it have been helpful. I've seen one article on
IBM.com which suggests some poor performance with DISK stgpool volumes
(http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663
<http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&tcss=Newsletter&uid=swg213
90367> &tcss=Newsletter&uid=swg21390367) but it's not clear to me whether
Sun have fixed the bug on their side. The underlying disk storage is EMC
DMX4 (mix of 146 and 300GB 15k disks), the TSM Server platform is 5.5.3.0 on
a Sun Fire T2000 with 32GB RAM.

Any input gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

/David Mc