ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Problems backing up a MSSQL database.

2009-09-03 10:25:32
Subject: [ADSM-L] Problems backing up a MSSQL database.
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:24:22 -0400
A client of mine is having some problems backing up a moderately sized
MSSQL database.

MSSQL:  2005 9.0.4035
TDPSQL: 5.3.3.0
TSMcli: 5.3.4.0
TSMsrv: 5.5.3.0

We've got a variety of DBs on this MSSQL instance, several smaller
ones start moving data immediately and back up smoothly.  So we know
we've got basic TSM commo working well.

The problem child is moderately large: 126G.  When we request a full
backup of it, the TDP gui smiles and waits, with message "Waiting for
Sql server..." indefinitely.  Well, at least for two days. :)

Of course, IDLETIMEOUT minutes after we kick that process off, the TSM
server gives up; that ought not to be an issue, it should just start
up again.

On the MSSQL log side, we don't see anything edifying: there's a
"starting this backup" notification, and then a "Hey! the backup
application went away" when we close the TDP gui.

We can do log backups from this database uneventfully, but we don't
seem to be able to make a full.

I've seen some messages in the archives talking about 'Waiting for SQL
server', but they tend to be on the restore side.

Any notions?  Usual suspects, tracing options, etc?  Where the problem
stands right now, I anticipate a rousing game of Point The Finger if I
hit the official support channels.  I am confident I can eventually
win that game, but I don't relish spending the time.

- Allen S. Rout