ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TBMR & Revisit of exclusions in a restore

2009-08-31 11:13:45
Subject: [ADSM-L] TBMR & Revisit of exclusions in a restore
From: Troy Barnhart <TBarnhart AT RCRH DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:13:26 -0600
We're testing Cristie's new TBMR client, specifically the Linux version
(v.6.1.2-p2).   Very slick product.

As you may know this version of Cristie's BMR uses the standard TSM node, as
opposed to the CBMR which uses the API client and a second TSM node.   I
believe this TBMR client is based on the TSM Linux client v.5.5.0.6.  Sidenote:
 Our server is TSM Server (AIX) v.5.5.2.1, as is the TSM client v.5.5.2.

But, I've ran into a funky issue on our TBMR Restores.

I'm trying to do a "forklift" migration of a RedHat 4.7 server from an IBM x440
rack to an IBM HS21 blade.  We have the current server built w/ the RedHat OS
on a RAID1 locally-attached pair and w/ the ORACLE database binaries & files on
the SAN-attached LUN's with the Oracle standard naming of filesystems
"/u01-/u13".

(Once I get the base OS restored via TBMR and running on the Blade, then I can
reattach the SAN-filesystems and run/troubleshoot from there.)

So, in my regular TSM backups I use our "inclexcl.txt" file to exclude
"/u03-/u13" as the filesystems where the database datafiles are.  I include the
/u01 and /u02 filesystems because they keep the Oracle binaries and configs.

However, in a BMR situation - I want to exclude these SAN-based filesystems (in
other words all /u01-/u13) from the TBMR restore.  I only want to restore the
standard linux filesystems; "/", "/boot", "/var", "/usr", etc...

Other than modifying the "tbmrcfg" or "disrec.ini" portions of the TBMR
configurator - there is an area in the TBMR-Restore process that asks for DSMC
commandline flags.   Theoretically, I could input an alternate include/exclude
file or the like.

Any input would be appreciated...

Regards,
Troy