ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup Stgpool using 2 drives taking too long

2009-08-03 17:49:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup Stgpool using 2 drives taking too long
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 17:48:55 -0400
Ditto what everybody else said- can be lots of things.

But I've seen this behavior at exactly ONE customer with LTO4 drives in a
TS3310.
2-drive processes would sometimes take hours.
No errors recorded anywhere, just very, very slow.

Peering through the TS3310 window, I could see (with difficulty) that the
yellow lights on the drives were flashing while this is going on.  If you
look in the IBM LTO book, that light is not supposed to be on (it's weird -
the yellow light means different things depending on whether it's blinking
once per second, twice per second.)

Indicated a firmware error, even though the error was not forwarded to TSM.
And firmware wasn't that old.  But upgrading the firmware fixed it.