ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Is it possible to rename BACKUP Sets?

2009-07-30 09:30:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Is it possible to rename BACKUP Sets?
From: Timothy Hughes <Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:28:58 -0400
Thanks Km & Ken!

The way that was described is too risky we increased the retention time
on the backup sets that solves the most important issue.

Tim

Ken Hannigan wrote:

No, you cannot currently rename backup sets.   That'd be a nice
requirement, but it's not a feature that's currently available.

I agree with km that the only way you're going to be able to rename the
backup set is to delete and then redefine it.  But be very careful.  As km
notes, deleting the backup set will return its volumes to scratch, so
you'll want to take precautions to make sure they don't get reused before
you can issue the DEFINE BACKUPSET command.   And for FILE volumes,
'return to scratch' means 'delete', so you'll need to be even more careful
if your backup set is on disk.

Ken Hannigan
Tivoli Storage Management Development

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/29/2009
01:44:07 PM:

On 29/07, Timothy Hughes wrote:

Hello,

Is there a way to rename a backupset? I would to rename the backup set
below.

MONTHLYDOCHUBGWC.190813591  to  YRLYDOCHUBGWC.116988494

TSM 5.5
AIX 5.2

The way to do that would be to DELETE BACKUPSET first and then DEFINE
BACKUPSET with the same volumes. The delete command, I believe, only
removes the backupset entries from the TSM DB and sets the tape(s) back
to scratch. Please do some research on this first so you dont lose any
data.

Maybe someones else on this list have done this recently and can verify
that this is the way to do it.

-km