ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM6.1 on Linux

2009-07-07 18:18:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM6.1 on Linux
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 15:16:51 -0700
> May I enquire why you'd want to replace the most robust OS on the
> planet (AIX) on your p series with Linux? Not that I don't like Linux,
> I just think AIX is superior.

I've had this conversation with the folks who, I'm sure if you ask them,
know better than me. There is a move to 'consolidate' everything around
here with those in charge, I guess, thinking it's going to cut costs and
'make things easier'. They ask me who knows AIX in case I'm not around
too. Added together both mean nothing to me since from what I've seen
AIX is perfectly easy to learn by those who have been using UNIX for
years.

Looks to me like the maintenance cost of RedHat 5 and AIX are comparable
so there isn't much savings there if any. Because linux runs on the p
series they are pretty much telling me it won't be AIX. So far the
learning curve for me, along with research, install failures, more
research, missing packages, more research, bad documentation and more
research is outweighing any reason they can come up with for wanting to
go Linux.

Then again, what do I know.

> given that I always think that the best platform to run TSM on is the
> one you are most familiar with, stick with AIX! Linux is great,
> really, but AIX is better.

Agreed.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator
SAIC M/S-B1P
(858)826-4062 (office)
(858)412-9883 (blackberry)
Email: geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com

Of
> Remco Post
> Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:00 PM
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: TSM6.1 on Linux
>
> On 7 jul 2009, at 19:34, Gill, Geoffrey L. wrote:
>
> > For those that tested 6.1 in a Linux environment I'm looking for any
> > problems you had. During my testing on AIX and Windows I had
failures
> > during the installation which were always DB2 related. I'm getting
> > ready
> > to bring up TSM on a Linux box and am looking for your experience.
> > This
> > is a new installation not an upgrade. This is a test but I really
want
> > to get a working environment up as quickly and easily as possible.
In
> > the end I will blow this away and bring it up on an IBM p series box
> > running Linux which will hopefully be just as easy but for now this
is
> > just a test on a blade I was given till the other hardware arrives.
> >

> I've installed 6.1 on debian and opensuse. Unfortunately, TSM 6.1 on a
> minimal install is untested (and not very well documented) and the
> deployment engine will fail in horrible ways. If you just install
> opensuse including a gui, java, ksh and more (select everything), it
> will work quite easily. One thing: Linux on x86 is only supported in
> 64 bit mode! Another thing, make 100% sure that you local hostname
> (output of hostname) is not mapped to 127.0.0.2 but to a real IP
> address of your server. There is some misfeature in DB2 that actually
> depends on real TCP/IP communications to the localhost based on the
> hostname (rather than 127.0.0.1).
>
> On debian I did a few tricks (bypassing the DE), and all was fine. I
> have a feeling that debian is a better OS for running TSM than
> OpenSUSE (or bypassing the DE is a good idea, take your pick ;-)).
>

> > I will direct 2 LTO2 drives to this box from the 3584 along with a
VTL