ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs Avamar

2009-06-23 12:34:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs Avamar
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:32:29 -0400
They do have hardware at the multiple sites for DR.  This is a "hot" DR
site as opposed to a cold site that you can do with tapes.  This does fit
our environment however.  We have multiple data centers that are DR sites
for each other.  Currently we use TSM with VTLs at multiple sites and just
replicate with backup stgpools over the WAN.  In reality, we run into more
bad tapes than we do with bad disks.  I can't remember if I've ever had to
run a "restore stg" on a VTL.
We only use tape for long term stuff

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
NRodolfich AT CMAONTHEWEB DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
06/23/2009 12:07 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs Avamar

What does Avemar offer for DR purposes? I don't know any customers that
are
ready to
totally rely on electrically powered disk drives as a DR solution.
The recent CommVault topic inspired this one.   Our EMC reps are doing a
good marketing job for Avemar.  While I'm not necessarily looking for ammo
to shoot them down, I am having trouble finding the negatives of Avamar
versusTSM.

The main marketing claims that interested me:
- Dedupe at the client.  They also claim that since they can do it at the
client, the ratio they can achieve is much higher than Falconstor or
DataDomain backend deduplication.
- They have some kind of directory tree hash marking.  The claim for this
is that if you have directories with millions of files, it will have
hashes for each directory level.  If one file changes, it can detect which
directory has changed through these hashes and will prevent complete file
system scanning for every backup. Sounds like it's an alternative for the
TSM journaling feature.
- They have some kind of Vmware appliance generation thing which they use
to create long term archives assuming they won't fit on the million:1
deduped storage!

As far as the negatives go, number one seems to be no analog to the
independant adsm-l community.  Which also seems to prevent finding more
negatives.  Also, the pre-sales engineer is a former TSM guy, which was a
craft EMC move!

Anyway, does anyone know any other negatives for Avamar vs TSM?  I'd like
to be able to ask more intelligent questions.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Regards,

Nicholas

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.