ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] best backup method for millions of small files?

2009-06-16 19:49:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] best backup method for millions of small files?
From: John Monahan <John.Monahan AT US.LOGICALIS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:47:52 -0400

I'm way behind on my emails, but thought I would respond to this anyway.

I have worked with some imaging/archiving solutions in the past with
millions of small files.  For the ones that fill up the
containers/directories until full and then never change them again, I
normally implement a combination of archives and backups.  It can be a
somewhat manual process, but may be preferable to some other options if
the numbers of files are extremely large.  In all cases where I have
done this, the recovery time for archived images is often weeks so
restore speed hasn't been a priority.

1.  I archive the containers that are full one time to TSM with
unlimited retention.
2.  Once a container is archived, it is excluded from the backup
process.
3.  Incremental backups are scheduled every night, but should only
backup/scan containers that are new since the last archive process.
Most data should be excluded/not scanned.
4.  Rerun the archive process once per month or a period that makes
sense based on the number of containers that become full.  Only archive
full containers that haven't yet been archived.  Make sure to add them
to the backup excludes once successfully archived.

______________________________

John Monahan
Infrastructure Services Consultant
Logicalis, Inc.