ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] NDMP backup of non-qtree data

2009-06-16 13:05:34
Subject: [ADSM-L] NDMP backup of non-qtree data
From: "Mueller, Ken" <KMueller AT MCARTA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:05:39 -0400
We have an IBM N-Series 6040 (a thinly veiled NetApp 3140) that amoung
other things contains several large volumes (2TB, 35 million files).
These volumes have qtrees defined for the larger top-level directories.
There are numerous other small top-level directories that are not in
qtrees.

We are running TSM 5.5.2.0 and using the Filer->TSM->Library method of
NDMP backup (storing the backups in TSM native storage pools).

It is not practical to backup the entire volume in one shot, but backing
up the individual qtrees via BACKUP NODE is manageable.  The problem
that I have is how to specify backing up the non-qtree portion of the
volume.  The NetApp commands use a trailing dash after the volume name
to indicate non-qtree data (ie:  /vol/xyz/-  ) however BACKUP NODE
complains of an invalid parameter when I use that convention.  I tried
setting up a virtualfsmapping with the trailing dash and it is accepted
for the mapping, however the subsequent BACKUP NODE process fails after
it starts with an ANR9999D catchall: "Error beginning NDMP backup -
illegal arguements.Check that the filespace/path '/vol/xyz/-' exists."

Anybody backing up these filers at the qtree level?  How do you handle
the non-qtree data?

We're new to the whole NDMP world - seems a few steps back from what TSM
can do natively.  Any sage advice is welcome!

-Ken Mueller