ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Internal compression?

2009-06-11 19:50:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Internal compression?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:49:24 -0400
On Jun 11, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Wanda Prather wrote:

The accounting log has multiple fields for the session:

backup transactions
backup KB
total transmitted

On a backup, you'll find the total transmitted is significantly
higher than
the total backed up.
That's the difference in the metadata.

Now what I can't remember, is whether the backup KB includes the
retries or
not....  Richard?

Hi, Wanda -

From what I've seen, the dsmaccnt backup KB records the actual amount
of data going into server storage pools, which excludes retries.

Note that the "Total number of bytes transferred" summary statistic
reflects traffic which flows from the client to the server, in Data
verbs.  The flow of Active files inventory information from the server
to the client at the start of an Incremental backup is thus not
included in that number.  Dsmaccnt records a Session KB number, which
does account for the flow in both directions.  Also, with backup of
ordinary directories and empty files in Unix, such objects do not
participate in Data verbs because they only constitute attributes for
database storage, not storage pool data.

   Richard Sims, at Boston University