ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems

2009-06-04 07:22:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems
From: Hans Christian Riksheim <HCR AT STERIA DOT NO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:21:09 +0200
Thanks for the pioneer work with 6.1! Myself and other free riders are
in deep gratitude to those contributing to making version 6 stable and
useful. When the dust settles in a year or so I too may choose to
upgrade knowing that others have taken the risk of losing their data and
personal sanity in making version 6 a success.

Frankly, I am a bit worried. I look at the bloat at Passport
Advantage(4GB download for reporting? Seriuos?) and it seems that every
piece of s**t software that IBM has produced now is forced upon us.
Already TSM in itself has a steep learning curve with a lot of different
"strange" concepts, but IBM obviously doesn't seem to think this is
enough in their ongoing effort to scare off potential customers. An
installation of 6.1 with reporting and administration on a small site
with for example a 2 drive, 40 slot library will require how many
servers? 3? One for TSM, one for admin and one for reporting?

Hope TSM don't end up as DB2, a database in use by IBM only shops.

I apologize in advance for the negativity expressed above.

Hans Chr.