ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.5 and Client Compatability?

2009-05-28 20:28:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.5 and Client Compatability?
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:22:01 +1000
Wanda

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick but see

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21286063  This describes
the end of support for TSM 5.3

Towards the bottom it states

<quote>
TSM 5.3 customers who have operating systems that are no longer in
mainstream support by their vendor and are not supported in TSM 5.4 or 5.5
will need to obtain a support extension from TSM, or upgrade their
operating system level and then their TSM level. These operating systems
include:
      AIX 5.1, RHEL 3 on Linux System z and PPC, SUSE 8, and z/OS V1R4-6 on
      both client and server
      Windows 2000, Solaris 8, and Linux x86 RHEL 3 on server
      NetWare 5.1 and MacOS 10.3.9-10.4.6 on client
</quote>

I took this to imply that a support extension was mandatory if you want to
run old code.

Regards

Steve.

Steven Harris
TSM Admin
Sydney Australia

             Wanda Prather
             <wprather AT JASI DOT CO
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.5 and Client
                                       Compatability?

             29/05/2009 09:13
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

I've never heard that before.
TSM is licensed by processor core. If you are paying for the correct number
of cores, you can run any version of the client on the machine you want,
AFAIK.  You're just on your own in terms of getting help with problems, if
that version is unsupported.

Where you get in trouble is if you let your maintenance contract elapse.
Then you have to pay a catch-up fee to reinstate it.  But that can happen
regardless of whether you are running all supported levels of the code.  Is
that possibly the situation you are thinking of?