ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SANergy

2009-05-26 15:37:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SANergy
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:35:19 -0400
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/26/2009
03:17:26 PM:

> If I understand SANergy correctly it's a way to back up data in a SAN
> environment to disk pool

I believe that's a pool of type FILE.

on a SAN by keeping it off the regular network.
> If that is a correct assumption it is why I asked for responses to my
> statement about comparisons to a segregated network instead.

So your question (in different words) is how to keep the backup traffic
off the regular network.  You see 2 options:  1)  a separate backup
network, or 2) lanfree over the SAN.  Lanfree then comes in 2 flavors
of to tape (lanfree to tape) and to file volumes (lanfree via sanergy).

Is this right?

Rick

 If moving
> the backups to a segregated backup network would be just as fast then it
> seems to make sense it would be a simpler environment. LAN Free direct
> to tape doesn't seem to me is going to produce the same results since
> from what I understand you would be more limited by the number of tape
> drives available to the, lets say 200 nodes backing up.
>
> I'm really looking for info and recommendations since I have no problems
> yet. If I'm going to be able to put up a system in a new environment
> what would be advisable given I'm probably not going to get to purchase
> direct attached storage, as in a DS4800, or new tape drives, but I
> should be able to get SAN attached disk storage instead. Of course I
> would prefer to stick with AIX and keep things simple.
>
> Geoff Gill
> TSM Administrator
> PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator
> SAIC M/S-B1P
> (858)826-4062 (office)
> (858)412-9883 (blackberry)
> Email: geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.