ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SANergy

2009-05-26 15:18:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SANergy
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:17:26 -0700
> without going into SANergy per se, I would suggest to you to think
> very carefully what problem you want to solve by using any SAN-shared
> filesystem.

I'm not looking to solve a problem just looking for input as it relates
to SANergy and setting up a new environment in a new location and only
if it makes sense to do so.

If I understand SANergy correctly it's a way to back up data in a SAN
environment to disk pool on a SAN by keeping it off the regular network.
If that is a correct assumption it is why I asked for responses to my
statement about comparisons to a segregated network instead. If moving
the backups to a segregated backup network would be just as fast then it
seems to make sense it would be a simpler environment. LAN Free direct
to tape doesn't seem to me is going to produce the same results since
from what I understand you would be more limited by the number of tape
drives available to the, lets say 200 nodes backing up.

I'm really looking for info and recommendations since I have no problems
yet. If I'm going to be able to put up a system in a new environment
what would be advisable given I'm probably not going to get to purchase
direct attached storage, as in a DS4800, or new tape drives, but I
should be able to get SAN attached disk storage instead. Of course I
would prefer to stick with AIX and keep things simple.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator
SAIC M/S-B1P