ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SANergy

2009-05-26 13:25:02
Subject: [ADSM-L] SANergy
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:22:14 -0700
Is anyone out there using SANergy in their environment? With the changes
we're going through it looks like the environment, wherever it's going
to be housed, is going to allow changes. I'm looking for information
from anyone who is using TSM in a SAN environment instead of a
segregated backup network but would like to hear arguments for or
against either. I'm interested in which platform you chose, why, what
sort of challenges you've had and the stability of your environment. I'm
being steered towards Linux but would prefer to stick with AIX. The
question is what sort of horsepower I'll need for either. The folks here
want me to use an HP blade BL460c that can house lots of memory and max
8 Cores. Only 3 slots available for add-on cards, and a 10Ge port,
unfortunately I have not found anything that explains the environment
well enough to figure out if this will suffice. If it turns out the size
of the blade allows us to build the proper size environment then I think
I can convince them to purchase a similar IBM box for the same cost so I
can stay with AIX. If anyone has worked with both and can give me good
arguments 'for' AIX that would also be helpful.

I can bring up a test environment now and move a couple of tape drives
to it along with a few TB of disk space on the SAN for disk storage
pools. If this works out well I'd probably move 150-200 nodes to it for
backups. Hopefully some of you have something similar already in place
which will provide the necessary info to help in making a good decision
moving forward.

Thanks for any advice you can lend.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator