ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to read TSM content without TSM??

2009-05-26 02:08:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to read TSM content without TSM??
From: "W. Curtis Preston" <wcplists1 AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 23:07:37 -0700
The real answer is "it depends," and the cited blog page gives you some
possible ways to make it happen.

No, I didn't cite any success stories, but I'm sure Index Engines will be
glad to give you some.  The way you say that, it's like the tools I
mentioned are all fantasy or something.

As to me "skirting" any issues, I'm well aware of the difficulty associated
with finding a needle in a haystack when scanning tapes without the database
(as mentioned by another poster), but those problems are the same as with
any backup software.  Which is one of the reasons I tell people not to try
and use backup tapes as archive tapes.

The point of my blog article was to counter the oft-stated belief that TSM
tapes cannot be read without the database.  I've heard IBM sales reps
actually refer to it as a feature, as if having the tape in TSM format is
almost as good as having it encrypted -- and that's just not true.  You can
read tapes without TSM.  Is it hard?  Sure.  Is it much harder than doing it
with TSM? Sure.  But it's POSSIBLE.