ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migration from Windows to Linux

2009-05-11 10:10:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migration from Windows to Linux
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:09:41 -0400
- The Management Class on the receiving server (I.E. Import server)
determines where the data will end up
- Storage pools can be named whatever you want them to be.  As long as the
management class matches the name
- Nothing "needs" to be the same on the destination.  You just need to
have enough space.  I mention quotes, because you will probably want the
same domain name and management class names.  (The values of the
management class don't need to be the same and can point to whatever
storage pool you want)

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
Desalegne.T.Guangul AT KP DOT ORG

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
05/08/2009 06:21 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Migration from Windows to Linux

Shawn,

Yes, both the window and linux servers are attached to the SAN, which is
attached to the tape library(3583) and to two exp-700 enclosure drives via
fiber cables. The do have dual connections.
The tape library is shared and the old window server is the library
manager and the new one (linux) is the client but  I can  changed that.  I
was referring to disk storage pools every time I was taking about storage
pools.  I'm trying to use the server to server export option.

Again the bottom line for me is to run both servers in parallel for a
while.  So, in order to do that my understanding is that I have to define
separate disk and tape storage pools for both  servers.

1) Does the Management classes determine to which storage pool the export
node command transfer the data into? If it correct, is it the source or
the target server MC determine that?
2) Does the newly created SAN disk storage pool volumes for  linux need to
have same names and sizes of the windows server SAN disk storage pools?
3) Do I have to have the same number or/and size of tape pool volumes and
copy tape pool volumes created a head of running the export command?

Thanks all again!

Desalegne

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or
disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or
saving them.  Thank you.

Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
05/08/09 09:29 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Migration from Windows to Linux

First step is to be more descriptive on what type of hardware you have.
You mentioned the library, but not the Drives.     Are they on a SAN?  Do
they have dual connections, etc?

If you can share them, you should setup the new TSM server as the library
manager and make the old one a Library client.
Otherwise, you need to assign some of the drives to one server and some to
the other.  (You still need to create a library manager/client
relationship)

Once that is done, then both servers can run in parallel.   However, each
server will need its own

Create new storage pools on the Linux TSM server pointing to the existing
tape library device classes, then just slowly export the nodes over.

Also, describe what you mean when you are talking about "storage pool
devices"  I'm assuming you are talking about the disk stg pool.
Is this SAN disk? Locally attached SCSI disk? Shared NFS disk ?  I imagine
this data is migrated to tape every day?  If so, then removing and
recreating them should be trivial.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
Desalegne.T.Guangul AT KP DOT ORG

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
05/07/2009 03:42 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Migration from Windows to Linux

Hi Everyone,

I need all your help on this. There are a lot of topics on the archive
about migration but none of them address my questions.  I'm migrating TSM
v 5.3.3.1 on Windows 2000 server to TSM v 5.5.0  on SuSE Linux (SELS 10 sp
2).

Most of the topics talks about moving the whole system from the older
hardware to all new set of hardware.  In my case all I'm allowed to
upgrade is the server only.  So, I have to use the same old library  (LTO
3583) and the same storage pools devices.  I have setup the server to
server communication to use the export/import command.

Here are some of the problems:

1) I  mounted the storage pools on the Linux server but I have a read only
permission even for the root user.
2) say we find way to get to write to the above storage pools on linux ,
how do that affect the files since the storage pools are created on the
windows system with NTFS file system?

The only way I can think of get around this problem is to completely wipe
out the storage pools data and recreate it under the linux file system.
Then use the export/import commands from the existing on site tapes to
move the data back to the storage pools.

The problem with that is my boss want me to run both servers side by side
until we are sure that the Linux server is stable.  Is this possible?  If
so how do I do that?

P.S. I have contacted IBM TSM support group and still waiting an answer
from them.

Thank you all,

Desalegne Guangul
Regional Occupational Health
1800 Harrison St. 21st Floor
510-625-3038 or tieline 8/428-3038

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or
disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or
saving them.  Thank you.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or
partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that
certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas
RCC, Inc.